Monday, November 24, 2008

The Christmas Shoes


I'm pathetic. I'm chalking it up to being in my 35th week of pregnancy and having no control over my emotions or my bladder.

Tonight, with my free Redbox code, I rented The Christmas Shoes. I rented it hoping that it would be a made-for-TV-movie that was inspired by the song that always makes me cry at Christmas.

"What movie did you get?" Dave asks.

"I got one that I know you wouldn't want to watch so as not to distract you from your studies." I say, avoiding the question. I'm embarrassed to say what I really got.

"What movie did you get?"

"Christmas Shoes. I think it is a made-for-TV-movie that was inspired by the song that always makes me cry at Christmas."

Embarrassingly enough, it was.

Just renting the movie isn't the embarrassing part. The embarrassing part is that I cried, sorry, sobbed through the entire second half of this movie. What is wrong with me? Why are my eyes still red and my sleeve all gooed because I was too lazy to get a Kleenex? I know it's not Rob Lowe's acting skills. Or anything that the film makers did. It might be the little person who is trying to claw her way out of my uterus and that fact that I just can't handle having a constant side-ache-like pain under my right ribs anymore. That could be it, but I don't think it was.

I think it's the same reason I cried at A Walk to Remember (one of the worst films ever made). Or the Notebook. Or Bella. Or Father of the Bride. Or Father of the Bride part Two. Or some cereal commercials. Or any of the other sappy saps that make people like me cry. I'm pathetic. And I'm even more pathetic just more than a month away from having a new baby.

Well, at least I can admit it. If I watched it again, I would bawl like a baby. I'll probably wake up in the middle of the night and cry just thinking about it. Awesome.

ps. I totally cried at Baby Mama too.

What it's worth to me:

Some peppermint ice cream and a clean shirt. It also would've been nice if when David came in to check on me he would've put his arm around me and gave me a shnuggle instead of looking at me and saying this: "Sweetie. Are you serious?"

Watch this movie if you want to cry. Or make fun of a bad Christmas movie.

8 comments:

3703 said...

I just love Hallmark movies, they always make the Christmas season full of love and cheer. Personal favorite was last years Dolly Parton as a Christmas angel.

Spencer Davis said...

OK, I have to stop your right there. How dare you speak poorly of A Walk to Remember. It is one of the best movies ever. Tell me you didn't get goose bumps all over when Landon made it so Jaime could be in two places at once.

I also cry in movies. When I was little, I went to 7938's birthday party. I sat between him and Brent Baker. The movie we watched was White Fang. I cried when I thought White Fang was dead.

I can't wait to check out the Christmas Shoes.

Cicely said...

I was waiting for that. I threw AWTR in there for you, Darth.

Emily said...

cicely.. I wish I could be there with you, I would have given you some loves. I can't stand Rob Lowe but I would have still watched the movie. Don't worry, I cry during Oprah all the time, and I'm not pregs. loves.

Spencer Davis said...

Cic, you know me so well. I love that you threw that in there for me. I'll have to do a menu search for this movie. I saw that it was on and I only saw about 2 minutes of it...some girl was told that she couldn't get the heart transplant that she needed because the the blood work came back with Hep B.

Then I changed the channel because I hate spoilers. I'll have to see if it will be on again.

Sabrena Suite-Mangum said...

Um... do you have ABC Family channel? Because I think there are going to be some gems on there this year too. ;)

Maybe you should pick a Christmas Book for bookclub.... something about shoes. Or Christmas.

Also, I was thinking about starting another book club too... this one is to get people hooked on how cool we are and then we can trick them into joining the original book club.

But here's my pitch. A book Club, where you don;t actually have to read the book, you just watch the movie... the only premise is that you can ONLY pick a title that is really a book and has a movie made about it. What do you think?

Cicely said...

Sabrena-

I love it.

Lets start it today. The first movie/book? Christmas with the Kranks aka: Skipping Christmas by John Grisham.

Unless you have a better holiday movie? Does the Grinch count?

jolyne77 said...

Dude....you make me laugh...more than you know...I love it....

About Me

My photo
My name is Cicely Suite Cain. I'm a wife to David and a mother to Miles and Faye. We live in "Cleveland, Ohio!" where Dave is going to med school. That is me. Livin' the dream.