Saturday, February 2, 2008

Atonement




Movie: Atonement.

Brilliant. (That was in my best British accent.)

This Focus Film set in late 1930s was well casted, acted, directed and photographed. The "porcelain pretty" Keira Knightly headed up a major role in the film as well a new shining star, Saoirse Ronan, who plays the precocious 13 year old writer whose need for drama becomes the undoing of a wealthy English family.

From the magnificent mansion to the glamorous costumes, I felt like I had stumbled into a world that only exists in Murder Mysteries and Jane Austen books. I loved it. It was romantic and provocative, embarrassing and unforgiving, sexy and horrifying, lovely and depressing.

The only part of this movie I didn't like was the man-sitting-next-to-me's nose whistling on every breath. Even with that annoyance in my ear for the duration of the film, I still felt it’s heartbreaking woe. With it’s well written twists and turns- this movie definitely deserves it's Oscar Nomination for Best Film.

What it's worth to me:

My mother-in-law watched Miles while we went to the movie, but I would easily spend money for a babysitter and a ticket. The only treat I'd bring to view the film would be a bottled water to rehydrate after such an emotional journey.

8 comments:

erin said...

wow. I didn't know you guys got out this much. I will have to get this movie when it comes out on red box. or when we move down to salt lake and my parents can tend the baby. Surprise!!! we are moving back! Call me and we will talk. too bad now you are leaving.

Emily said...

Have you watched any of the new Jane Austin films on PBS? The ones I saw, Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey, were really good. Jon and I haven't seen a movie in a theater for a long time!

Spencer Davis said...

Cicely-
Though your post was insightful and Kiera Knightly is a babe, I am not convinced. Perhaps you could elaborate. Are there any aliens or space ships in this movie? Any good fight or murder scenes? I have a mental block about anything that is compared to Jane Ausin. Though I should be more accepting of Jane Austin. ***Did you know that Jane Austin is just a pen name. The real author's name was Mark Twain. He just wrote under the pen name of Jane Austin so that he could make money off of the female demographic.

***Source- Mr. Rumble, et al

Cicely said...

Sman9-

I'm not quite sure if the comment about Mark Twain's alias is true or not because I haven't read much of Jane AustIn's novels.

Although, I do know that Jane AustEn was a woman whose name was Jane Austen. She wrote delicious books that I need to read with a dictionary and then she died. A spinster.

Maybe she would have been better off if she was Mark Twain or an alien shooting space ships. I'll send her an email.

Emily said...

I was proud to view this movie with you and glad that I could NOT here the nose whistle. I must add that this is the best adaptation from a book to the screen that I have seen in a long time. Read this book, I loved it and it made the movie all the better...Ta ta

Spencer Davis said...

Cicely-
You and Stone Cold Jane Austin just opened up a serious can of whoop ass on me. My spelling errors and I stand down.

I'm greatly looking forward to your next review of Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Disney Digital 3D

Austin 3:16

Ian said...

Cic! Nice review. I read the book, which was excellent and probably better than the movie.

And Darth, this is a WWII period book/movie, so there is some good death and carnage (at least I assume there is in the movie).

Mama Suite said...

I haven't seen this move, but I want to see it. I want to see it even more now with your comments. I know to take a box of tissue and to sit at least one space away from whisting nose man. Another delightful review.

About Me

My photo
My name is Cicely Suite Cain. I'm a wife to David and a mother to Miles and Faye. We live in "Cleveland, Ohio!" where Dave is going to med school. That is me. Livin' the dream.