Sunday, February 24, 2008

Freaks and Geeks: The complete series




Series: Freaks and Geeks.

This televison show staged mostly in a Detroit high school was probably taken off the air due to some marketing problems as most sitcoms that have potential are. The premise of the show? Lindsay and Sam Weir, brother and sister, try to survive their high school experience as "freaks and geeks." Pretty catchy title.

I'm still undecided as to how much I really liked the show. The main character, Lindsay Weir, is a nerd who tries to become someone more edgy by wearing the same over-sized army jacket everyday and hanging out with some less than amazing potheads. She is the most disappointing character in the show. I wanted to like her, but it was painfully hard. I think of her the same way I think of Will and Grace- put Karen and Jack back on.

Sam, Lindsay's brother, and his geek squad friends Bill, the ultra-nerd, and Neil the 55-year-old-stuck-in-a-15-year-old's body jewish boy, are definitely worth watching. As far as I'm concerned the show would be next to worthless without them.

There are some young stars that play pretty small roles, but were cast well and who I wold've like to have seen more of such as: Seth Rogen- a burnout, Samaire Armstrong (better known as Anna from the OC)- a hippie, and Shia LaBeouf- the high school's mascot.

I heard a lot of hype about this show. The first episode wasn't super impressive, but it had some good moments. Each episode got progressively better and by the sixth and final DVD- I was sad it was over.

What it's worth to me:

I made a good choice by Netflixing this series, but I don't know if it was worth moving to the top of my queue for and especially in the middle of my Scrubs marathon. It took me about three weeks to watch the whole show- which is a really long time. All in all- I'd see it again, but I'm not in love with it.

6 comments:

Allison said...

This is totally one of those shows where the more you watch it, the funnier it gets! Borrow our copy next time your family is in town so you can see I am right. Spencer and I LOVE it. My very favorite character is Mrs. Weir. She cracks me up. and Bill, come on is there anyone funnier! I am glad you watched it.

Spencer Davis said...

"Mrs. Weir, this meat loaf is the best. Its like an angel baked it up in heaven, and then brought it down to your table." This is one of my favorite lines from one of my favorite characters, Nick. He plays the best creepy boyfriend and ex boyfriend I've seen.

I was shocked to hear that you didn't love Freaks and Geeks. I thought you had a good sense of humor, even for a female. Then you confuse me even more by saying that you'd rather watch Scrubs. I'm back on the fence.

I love Freaks and Geeks so much that I would put it up there with The Office, 30 Rock and Arrested Development.

Cicely said...

It was ok. It doesn't belong in the same category as The Office, let alone Arrested Development- that's just blasphemy. When we come to SG- I am willing to give it another shot. I didn't hate it- it just wasn't awseome.

Emily said...

We watched this DVD set in a weekend and loved it. I liked it when it was on TV too, sad to see it not prosper. Our favorite quote was about a "Hershey's kiss"... if you know what I mean. Yeah, we're gross. The sister and her crazy friend were both on ER at one time. They were better as Freaks though

Spencer Davis said...

Cicely-
We would love to have a Freaks and Geeks marathon with you guys. I think you will enjoy it more the second time around. I will agree with you that the first few episodes lack a bit, but as the season progresses, it really picks up its pace.

I will still hold it up Office, 30 Rock and Arrested Development, but I wouldn't put it above them. Easily in my top 5 favorite comedies.

3703 said...

Darth Spencer introduced me to this series and my life is better because of it.

I just have to say that a good series launches great careers. I'm just not sure if your movie blog can handle the fame progenized from Freaks and Geeks.

Biff is the Gym coach and if you watch this show, it should be to see him.

About Me

My photo
My name is Cicely Suite Cain. I'm a wife to David and a mother to Miles and Faye. We live in "Cleveland, Ohio!" where Dave is going to med school. That is me. Livin' the dream.